Arma 3
Arma 3 > General Discussions > Topic Details
Staffie Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:24pm
8 core AMD issues
im running an 8 core piledriver fx 8350
gigabyte hd 7970
8gb corsair vengence ddr3

been hearing issues with 8 cores and this game... anybody have any info?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 51 comments
Lafferty Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:30pm 
Ok let me jsut say this that cpu is extremely week especially with a game like arma which is primarily utilising only one core. An i5 2500K is more powerful than the top of the line amd just for comparison.

Arma is cpu intensive and thats the problem with many amd users as there processors are weaker understandably considering the huge gulf in price difference. Im not being optimistic with optimisations being developed but if there is any there wont even be that much of a difference to help gain sutaible improvements for the bulk of users on any system both amd or intel.

I have an i7 3770K, 8gb corsair vengence, asus titan ... and even my system at certain times (massive fire fights well above the average) struggles so i can imagine those that have a much lower spec system.

I can only suggest turn the settings down which count such as anti alaising, pip, draw distance, shadow, post processing, sky, whilst maintaining the rest as much as possible.
Last edited by Lafferty; Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:33pm
[U.D.T] Floki Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:31pm 
game runs like ♥♥♥♥ on any system, dont let anyone fool you.
It's basically a pc exclusive console port, runs off of two threads, with way too much ♥♥♥♥ for those threads to handle...
raasberry Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:33pm 
Originally posted by ColinLafferty:
Ok let me jsut say this that cpu is extremely week especially with a game like arma which is primarily utilising only one core. An i5 2500K is more powerful than the top of the line amd so theres your problem.

Arma is cpu intensive and thats the problem with many amd users as there processors are weaker understandably considering the huge gulf in price difference. Im not being optimistic with optimisations being developed but if there is any there wont even be that much of a difference to help gain sutaible improvements for the bulk of users on any system.

I have an i73700K, 8gb corsair vengence, asus titan ... and even my system at certain times (massive fire fights well above the average) struggles so i can imagine those that have a much lower spec system.

I can only suggest turn the settings down which count such as anti alaising, pip, draw distance, shadow, post processing, sky, whilst maintaining the rest as much as possible.

lol it's not that weak.
Lafferty Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
Yes i did exagerate was getting sick of the same thread over and over but the game aint performing well in any machine top of the line or not. Mutliple cores aint been utlised thats the problem with arma
SPC CHEESE Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:36pm 
I have the same CPU just use this -cpuCount=8 in your Arma 3 Steam launch options and it's not a weak CPU to the idiot that responded to you first!
Staffie Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:37pm 
I respect the honest opinions... I understand that intel is better for gaming BUT no way should it struggle with this game by any means.. . must be some people playing on 8 cores? please anyone!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!
Lafferty Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:41pm 
Right click arma 3 beta in games list, select properties, select set launch options and paste the bottom line of instructions (code). What this does is tells it to use alleight phsycical cores and with a max of 4gb ram since you only have 8gb and the intro does not play and goes straight to start menu

However this is what i have and is based upon my rig

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -high -maxMem=4096 -noSplash

You should copy and paste the following

-cpuCount=8 -high -maxMem=4096 -noSplash
Last edited by Lafferty; Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:17pm
SPC CHEESE Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:42pm 
Originally posted by Staffie:
I respect the honest opinions... I understand that intel is better for gaming BUT no way should it struggle with this game by any means.. . must be some people playing on 8 cores? please anyone!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!

I already said I run an FX-8350 and I get over 40 FPS all day even while recording with Fraps!
Kai Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:43pm 
It's not on any hardware, it runs fine on lower hardware but it's not very optimized for the newer technologies like multi-core or threads.

It's very odd, and it's the same with java applications, they all focus on single core based developments and not use the additional ram or GPU power...

Which is silly because a GPU can compute and multitask better than any CPU.

The issue resides with planetside 2 too! More players active = more cpu used and kills the processing.

What should have been done is to utilize multi-threads for each cores or fall back to memory or gpu to boost it. Having the cpu solely do most of the work would cripple the other hardware since the other components needs the cpu to stay at peak performance.

You can't expect a GPU to be good at what it does if the CPU is crippled with all the unnecessary calculations, causing it to be 10x slower and the GPU in effect works 10x slower because less data is given to it and at a slower speed too.
Last edited by Kai; Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:46pm
Staffie Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:45pm 
Thanks spc cheese i didnt see your post :) ... i have just purchased the game this second
Marc Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:51pm 
Originally posted by Kai:
It's not on any hardware, it runs fine on lower hardware but it's not very optimized for the newer technologies like multi-core or threads.

It's very odd, and it's the same with java applications, they all focus on single core based developments and not use the additional ram or GPU power...

Which is silly because a GPU can compute and multitask better than any CPU.

The issue resides with planetside 2 too! More players active = more cpu used and kills the processing.

What should have been done is to utilize multi-threads for each cores or fall back to memory or gpu to boost it. Having the cpu solely do most of the work would cripple the other hardware since the other components needs the cpu to stay at peak performance.

You can't expect a GPU to be good at what it does if the CPU is crippled with all the unnecessary calculations, causing it to be 10x slower and the GPU in effect works 10x slower because less data is given to it and at a slower speed too.

You lot of noobs should read this and maybe just maybe educate yourselfs.
Staffie Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:57pm 
Originally posted by $obriety^:
Originally posted by Kai:
It's not on any hardware, it runs fine on lower hardware but it's not very optimized for the newer technologies like multi-core or threads.

It's very odd, and it's the same with java applications, they all focus on single core based developments and not use the additional ram or GPU power...

Which is silly because a GPU can compute and multitask better than any CPU.

The issue resides with planetside 2 too! More players active = more cpu used and kills the processing.

What should have been done is to utilize multi-threads for each cores or fall back to memory or gpu to boost it. Having the cpu solely do most of the work would cripple the other hardware since the other components needs the cpu to stay at peak performance.

You can't expect a GPU to be good at what it does if the CPU is crippled with all the unnecessary calculations, causing it to be 10x slower and the GPU in effect works 10x slower because less data is given to it and at a slower speed too.

You lot of noobs should read this and maybe just maybe educate yourselfs.

Your an idiot ... all i needed to know is will my cpu be ok.
I understood what he said as it was the same story with skyrim a couple of years back.
typical iphone user...
privatebrian Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:02pm 
just like to add that i run a AMD FX4100 (yes baby bulldozer) at standard
clocks, but locked (no turbo) to 3.6 GHz, paired with a Nvidia GTX560 OC
1 GB, and i can run the game mostly on high settings (shadows to standard)
and get between 40-50 fps single player and around 25-30 multiplayer.

So i don't think you should have any issues with the 8350.
Last edited by privatebrian; Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:04pm
Staffie Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:05pm 
Originally posted by privatebrian:
just like to add that i run a AMD FX4100 (yes baby bulldozer) at standard
clocks, but locked (no turbo) to 3.6 GHz, paired with a Nvidia GTX560 OC
1 GB, and i can run the game mostly on high settings (shadows to standard)
and get between 40-50 fps single player and around 25-30 multiplayer.

this installs confidence brian thankyou hahaa =D
Marc Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:06pm 
Originally posted by Staffie:
Originally posted by $obriety^:

You lot of noobs should read this and maybe just maybe educate yourselfs.

Your an idiot ... all i needed to know is will my cpu be ok.
I understood what he said as it was the same story with skyrim a couple of years back.
typical iphone user...

Im the idiot?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 51 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Arma 3 > General Discussions > Topic Details
Date Posted: Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:24pm
Posts: 51