Arma 3 > General Discussions > Topic Details
Rick (Feral Circus) Jan 13 @ 12:51am
When will the poor sound get some attention?...
Anyone got any inside knowledge on whether the sound will be improved in the next update?...
Just simple things like occlusion of sound over distance, terrain & objects (like ARMA 2 had) filtering the higher frequencies from sounds.
At the moment the only thing that changes is volume over distance.

There are lots (154) of sound related issues on the feedback tracker but the sound isn't getting any better.
For example when inside buildings you can still hear the wind and all the insects as if you're still outside.
Simple things like this would help... http://youtu.be/ptBm0YDKne8
http://youtu.be/FNqFMCa6KQM

Cheers :-)
Last edited by Rick (Feral Circus); Jan 22 @ 9:43am
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Nobody Jan 13 @ 12:53am 
Last edited by Nobody; Jan 13 @ 12:53am
Rick (Feral Circus) Jan 13 @ 12:56am 
Cheers TrueCruel :-) I'm switching between JSRS 2.0 & Speed Of Sound at the moment but the game needs this sort of stuff as standard.
I've only heard obstructions from terrain & objects in the ACSE (sound mod) but I haven't heard a sound mod block out the environmental sounds yet.
In the video I've used 'enableEnvironment false' to block out the outdoor sounds so it becomes nice and quiet while indoors.
Maybe it could be used with 'lineIntersectsWith' like the indoor resonance effect on the weapons :-)

Thanks for the quick reply.
Last edited by Rick (Feral Circus); Jan 15 @ 4:17am
Rick (Feral Circus) Jan 21 @ 11:50am 
Yet another update (1.10) with the same old repetative sound as the ALPHA :-s
Better reactivate my sound mod.
HydroBIG BANG Jan 22 @ 7:30am 
You need to get the JSRS sound mod,just be careful with it because sometimes if your not expecting it and rounds start flying by you then you may freak out and swat your mouse off your desk and nearly ♥♥♥♥ yourself.
Kazmik Jan 22 @ 7:32am 
Originally posted by HydroBIG BANG:
You need to get the JSRS sound mod,just be careful with it because sometimes if your not expecting it and rounds start flying by you then you may freak out and swat your mouse off your desk and nearly ♥♥♥♥ yourself.

Haha so true
Rick (Feral Circus) Jan 22 @ 7:42am 
I'm using JSRS...
I just want the SIM to be correct as standard.
JSRS (or any other sound mod) doesn't simulate indoor environmental sound, only the resonance of your own weapon.
When inside a building you can still hear the wind, insects, birds and all gunshots & explosions as if you were still outside.
MantrAveda Jan 22 @ 8:11am 
Originally posted by TrueCruel:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22150

JSRS shouldn't be a mod. This is basic stuff that BI should implement.
Rick (Feral Circus) Jan 22 @ 11:01am 
Originally posted by MantrAveda:
Originally posted by TrueCruel:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22150

JSRS shouldn't be a mod. This is basic stuff that BI should implement.
EXACTLY :-)
Sushi! Jan 22 @ 12:04pm 
JSRS is cool, has some nice sounds but for me some of the gun sounds are WAY too loud compared to sounds like footsteps, nature and engine sounds. I get that its propably meant to be realistic and guns are very loud, I just wish my ears wouldnt start bleeding everytime I hear for example autocannon fire. Its horrible when autocannon rounds hit near me, painfully loud. Has this been fixed in any new versions or is there another sound mod I should try?
Also some of the suppressed weapons hurt my ears :(. My volume is not too high since if I were to lower it I wouldnt hear any footsteps, radio commands, environmental sounds, vehicle engines or anything else except the loud weaponry.

Im not using any special soundcard, I do have Plantronic Gamecom 780 headset which has simulated 7.1 sound, dont know if this has anything to do with the loud sounds though. (I used Microsoft lifechat lx-3000's before during alpha&beta and some of the BIS sounds were really loud even then. See below)

Even some of the default BIS sounds are too loud, or atleast were especially during alpha&beta periods. (example. rockets and missiles in helicopters, shoulder fired anti tank missiles)
Last edited by Sushi!; Jan 22 @ 12:39pm
Rick (Feral Circus) Jan 24 @ 8:48am 
I don't have any problems with JSRS 2.0 sound levels, apart from the aircraft being too quiet.

I find JSRS 2.0 brilliant for the distance effect on gun shots, there are many, many different ranges so it's easier to distinguish how far away the enemy is by the frequency of the sound being emitted just like in real life.
The further away the gun shot, the more top end frequency is lost from the sound.
[LSD]Timewarp82 Jan 24 @ 9:19am 
Originally posted by Sushi!:
JSRS is cool, has some nice sounds but for me some of the gun sounds are WAY too loud compared to sounds like footsteps, nature and engine sounds. I get that its propably meant to be realistic and guns are very loud, I just wish my ears wouldnt start bleeding everytime I hear for example autocannon fire. Its horrible when autocannon rounds hit near me, painfully loud. Has this been fixed in any new versions or is there another sound mod I should try?
Also some of the suppressed weapons hurt my ears :(. My volume is not too high since if I were to lower it I wouldnt hear any footsteps, radio commands, environmental sounds, vehicle engines or anything else except the loud weaponry.

Im not using any special soundcard, I do have Plantronic Gamecom 780 headset which has simulated 7.1 sound, dont know if this has anything to do with the loud sounds though. (I used Microsoft lifechat lx-3000's before during alpha&beta and some of the BIS sounds were really loud even then. See below)

Even some of the default BIS sounds are too loud, or atleast were especially during alpha&beta periods. (example. rockets and missiles in helicopters, shoulder fired anti tank missiles)

Google for a tool named "Razer Surround", its for free and makes a good job ;)
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 13 @ 12:51am
Posts: 11