Posted: March 24
does exactly what a space strategy rpg should... allow you to pilot awesome ships into combat, apply varied tactical maneuvers that count. There's fleet, sector relationship management and a decent storyline (c'mon). After replaying the game twice, there are some minor flaws but I see how everything went right: The devs focused on EXCATLY what was important, and I enjoyed it immensely.
- its fun. command your fleet against a solid AI, where you'll need micro tactics, planning and skill.
- rewarding, make the right moves and you won't need to grind.
- challenging, difficulty grows with you
- requires strategy for star systems
- good learning curve at the start
- learning curve can be tricky: if you pick the wrong things or try to do something stupid like bashing through a super high level defense... duh you die, and pay for it harshly.
- make the wrong choice to leap forward on the story and again you pay for it as costs rise.
- some inbalance in weapons and ships. Cannons tend to be more straight forward. Lasers are awesome at the end. Bombs need more tactics to be effective. Enemy will lean more towards throwing heavy weapons to decapitate rather than survive etc